Stay Hydrated with Your Own Infused Water Concoctions
Just because your water is clear does not mean it is healthy! Many flavored water products are filled with sugar and artificial sweeteners.
While drinking any form of water is more beneficial than choosing a soda, there is a way to drink delicious flavored water without consuming additives — make your own infused water!
There are limitless possibilities. You can choose fresh fruit flavors such as strawberry, orange or blueberry, or you can choose a vegetable-based flavored water by adding cucumber, beets or celery. Herbs and spices such as basil, rosemary and cinnamon also can be used to add extra flavor. I think the best flavored water comes from a combination of all of the above! Making your own infused water gives you the opportunity to select flavors you like best and customize each beverage you make.
- Choose your fresh fruits, vegetables and/or herbs.
- Thoroughly wash your produce.
- Slice or cut the produce however you prefer.
- Add all ingredients to a pitcher filled with cold water — hot water can make produce fall apart and compromise some of the nutrients.
- Let soak in the refrigerator overnight.
- Enjoy! And, if you want an extra nutrient boost, eat the produce!
The bottom line: Drink water without added sweeteners, artificial or natural, most of the time. If you drink processed water, do so in moderation — instead, find ways to add flavor naturally with fruits or vegetables.
Hanna Caudill is a dietetic intern at Lenoir Rhyne University studying in Asheville, NC. She graduated from Appalachian State University in 2016 with a Bachelor’s degree in Nutrition and Foods/Dietetics. After completing her internship, she plans to sit for the RD exam and start searching for her first job! Connect with Hanna on LinkedIn.