8Fit (Version 2.8.0)
Reviewed by Marisa Moore, MBA, RDN
Synopsis of the App
8Fit is a meal and fitness tracker and healthy living guide.
Platform and Price
Free. Apple and Android.
3 out of 5
- Attractive design with fun avatars and a natural flow.
- Well-designed opening questionnaire records the user’s goals to “lose fat, get fitter or gain muscle mass” and gathers basic data like height, weight, age and gender.
- Provides flexible transformation plans that are easy, medium or hard and may occur over a 4 month period with varying levels of intensity.
- All basic fitness plans include a variety of activities from interval training and Tabata to running.
- Access the exercise library with animated videos that include step-by-step exercise demonstrations featuring real people.
- Includes a weight-tracking graph with pounds lost, target weight, and current weight always in view.
- Choose a free plan with basic workouts and tracking or the paid pro plan with custom meal plans, custom workouts and access to 1:1 training or group coaching.
- Convenient home button let’s you log activity meals and weight via one tap.
- Earn a golden star after completing 3 activities per day.
- Activate step tracking using the phone’s sensors to make it easy to track steps.
- Integrate with Apple Health Kit to seamlessly sync data.
- Easily share activities with friends for encouragement and accountability.
- Recipes are only available in the PRO version.
- Diet advice can be a bit extreme at times calling sugar “the devil” and suggesting that users limit fruits, like bananas and mangoes, and legumes.
8Fit is good for finding quality workout demos and a fitness plan in one place. However, the nutrition information and meal plans can be improved with input from a registered dietitian nutritionist.