4 Ways to Enjoy Grilled Fruit
Grilling fruit really brings out its natural sweetness. Try a watermelon salad appetizer or swap ice cream for the Grilled Strawberry Banana Pizza below!
Grilled Strawberry Banana Dessert Pizza
- 1 16-ounce container strawberries, sliced
- 2 bananas, sliced
- ¼ cup rum
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 8 ounces goat cheese
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 raw whole-grain pizza dough
- Chocolate syrup
- Clean grill. Spray the grill liberally with cooking spray before turning the grill on. Heat grill to 500°F.
- In a large bowl, stir together strawberries and bananas with rum and sugar. Let rest for 15 minutes.
- Use a fork to combine goat cheese and honey until well-combined.
- Stretch whole-wheat dough. Spread goat cheese and honey mixture over the dough. Drain fruit and spread atop dough.
- Place the pizza on the grill and cook for 9 to 12 minutes, rotating the pizza every few minutes to make sure it does not stick.
- Remove from the grill and drizzle with chocolate syrup.
Grilled Fruit Kebabs
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Juice of 1 lemon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 peach, halved and pit removed
- 1 plum, halved and pit removed
- 1 pineapple, skin and core removed
- 1 pear, halved and core removed
- Clean grill thoroughly and coat with cooking spray. Heat to 400°F.
- In a large plastic bag or bowl, whisk together honey, lemon juice and nutmeg. Add fruit to bag or bowl.
- Place fruit on the grill. Do not move fruit often. Flip softer fruits (peaches, plums) after 2 minutes and cook 2 to 3 minutes longer. Cook harder fruits (pineapple, pear) for 3 to 4 minutes per side.
- Remove grilled fruit and thread onto bamboo skewers. Serve fruit kebabs with granola, sorbet or yogurt.
Watermelon-Feta Salad Bites
- 1 small watermelon, cut into 1-inch wedges
- Juice of 2 limes
- 2 cups arugula
- Balsamic glaze
- 1 cup feta cheese
- Squeeze lime juice over watermelon wedges and set aside.
- Clean grill and spray with cooking spray. Preheat grill to 350°F. Place watermelon on grill and cook for 5 minutes per side. Remove and sprinkle grilled watermelon slices with feta, balsamic glaze and arugula.
Grilled Apricot Halves with Goat Cheese
- 4 apricots, halved and pit removed
- ½ cup goat cheese
- ¼ cup honey
- Clean grill and spray with cooking spray. Preheat grill to 350°F.
- Cook apricots for 2 minutes each side. Remove and sprinkle with goat cheese and drizzle with honey.
Tawnie Kroll, RDN, is a Clovis, Calif.-based registered dietitian nutritionist. She has a passion for media, public speaking and freelance writing with an emphasis on nutrition and wellness. Read her blog, Kroll's Korner, and connect with her on Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest and Facebook.
(Photos: Tawnie Kroll, RDN)