Lemon-Zested Blueberry Crisp
There is nothing quite as tasty as a fresh-picked blueberry bursting in your mouth on a warm summer day. In fact, summertime berry picking is one of my most-loved warm weather traditions.
Today, I combined two of my favorite fruits — lemon and blueberries — and made a delightful blueberry crisp. Really, how can you go wrong with those flavors?
I mixed up a crisp topping with a little brown rice flour, oats, chia seeds, shredded coconut and cinnamon — and just 1/4 cup of melted butter. So good. For those on the low-FODMAP or gluten-free diet, this recipe is created especially for you! Gluten-intolerant folks should be sure to select gluten-free oats and chia seeds.
Blueberries offer a big nutritional bang for their buck. A top dog for their super-rich antioxidant content, blueberries are key for brain health and memory functioning. They help keep our ticker healthy by minimizing cholesterol levels and plaque formation. Blueberries also keep inflammation at bay and, since many major diseases such as arthritis, obesity and diabetes are inflammatory, we could all use some anti-inflammation nutrition. The polyphenol components of blueberries may play a part in bone health, too! An additional perk, blueberries may even lower risk of breast cancer.
To learn more, check out this USDA's review of interesting studies featuring blueberries or some of their active components.
I admit I am obsessed with blueberries. I add them to my meals every chance I get. Here are a few ways you too can boost the blue in your diet:
- Top your yogurt or oats with some fresh blueberries.
- Whirl some frozen blueberries and Greek yogurt for a quick and easy smoothie. (Lactose intolerant folks can sub in lactose-free yogurt).
- Mix blueberries in with other diced fruits for a nourishing and simple snack or dessert.
- Toss some sliced kale, feta and blueberries together with light vinaigrette dressing for a refreshing summer salad.
- Add blueberries to your favorite pancake or muffin recipe for an occasional breakfast treat.
Lemon-Zested Blueberry Crisp
- 1½ pints fresh blueberries, washed
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup brown rice flour
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds (gluten-intolerant folks choose chia labeled gluten free)
- ½ cup oats (quick or old-fashioned work, but for gluten-intolerant, use gluten-free oats)
- ¼ cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon shredded coconut
- ¼ cup butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Add blueberries to 8-by-8-inch square pan. Sprinkle cornstarch, sugar, lemon juice and zest evenly over berries and stir to combine.
- Make topping by mixing all topping ingredients in small bowl until blended. Place topping mixture over blueberries evenly.
- Bake for about 25 minutes — topping should be slightly brown and blueberries bubbling on the sides of dish.
- Let cool for 5 minutes and then evenly dish out.