Make Your Own Veggie Burgers
My sister has been raving about this burger recipe and she and her boyfriend — neither of whom are vegetarian — make it often. It is filling and satisfying. I made is for a few friends and it got rave reviews. The original recipe is adapted from Eat Live Run but I tweaked it to make it my own.
Black Bean and Corn Super Veggie Burgers
Recipe by Holly Larson, MS, RD
Makes 8-10 burgers
2 cans black beans, drained and rinsed
2 Tbsp. ground flax seeds mixed with 6 tablespoons water (or substitute two whole eggs)
1 jalapeno, seeded and roughly chopped
1 small onion, roughly chopped
1 tablespoon tomato paste
½ cup breadcrumbs (or substitute ½ cup cooked rice for gluten-free option)
2 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. salt
½ cup corn (fresh or frozen and defrosted)
Avocado, cheddar cheese and barbecue sauce, for topping
Olive oil (or canola oil) for frying burgers
- Place jalapeno and onion in a food processor or high speed blender and mince finely.
- Add one can of beans to the jalapeno/garlic mixture and pulse to combine. Add cumin and salt and pulse until mixture resembles chunky black bean dip.
- In a large bowl, mix together the ground flax and water. Let sit for five minutes.
- To the large bowl, add the mixture from the food processor and stir in the bread crumbs, tomato paste, corn and remaining black beans.
- Heat a little olive oil in a skillet on medium high heat. Form black bean mixture into patties and fry for about 4 minutes per side, until golden and crusty brown.
- Serve burgers with avocado slices, cheddar and barbecue sauce.