Stone Soup Vlog: Jackfruit Larb
In this monthly vlogging series, Stone Soup blogger Celestina Brunetti demonstrates recipes using ingredients featured in the most recent issue of Food & Nutrition Magazine. For March, Celestina shares with us how to make Jackfruit Larb, a vegan version of the traditional Thai dish that's typically made with pork.
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced red shallot
- 1 thinly sliced scallion (white and green parts)
- ½ cup thinly sliced mint leaves
- ½ cup cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon of lime juice
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 10 ounces shredded jackfruit (about 2 ½ cups)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon red chili flakes
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 leaves butter lettuce
- In a medium bowl, combine shallot, scallion, mint, cilantro, garlic, soy sauce, lime juice and sugar. This will be your dressing
- Open the jackfruit, or purchased pre-quartered, and pull it apart into shreds. Discard hard and fibrous pieces.
- Heat olive oil in small skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot, add jackfruit, red chili flakes and a pinch of salt. Sauté for about 1 minute, until mixture is heated through.
- Transfer jackfruit to dressing and toss. Arrange butter lettuce leaves on a serving plate and mound dressed jackfruit on top. Garnish with mint leaves.
Celestina Brunetti, RDN, LD, is a chef and nutritionist. She has worked with the University of Nevada Cooperative Extension developing culinary demonstration videos for its Expanded Food and Nutrition Education Program, as well as written curriculum for disease-specific culinary nutrition classes for the Las Vegas community. You can view more of her videos here. Connect with Celestina on her website and on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.