Celebrate International Hummus Day with a Twist
Photo: Emily Cooper, RD, LD
Editor’s note: Tomorrow, May 13th, is International Hummus Day. If you’re a fan of this healthful spread and dip, below is a recipe to help you celebrate, or you can find more delicious variations here!
So you make a pizza. Veggies, cheese and a smothering of sauce. But does anyone out there actually use the whole jar of pizza sauce? If you answered yes, you, my friend, are a rare breed.
I on the other hand always end up with half a jar of pizza sauce buried deep in the fridge door, discovered a month later when I make the rare reach for a bottle of Worcestershire. Except now it has grown a spiffy white furry coat.
Instead of letting that sad jar never see another disc of dough in its lifetime, why not give it a new spreadable, edible persona? Most people like pizza and also enjoy hummus, so I thought I would combine the two into one fabulous food.
My recipe is below, but the sky’s the limit to what you could add to this: roasted veggies, fresh herbs, even feta!
Pizza Hummus Recipe
Makes about 2 cups
- 1 15-ounce can drained and rinsed chickpeas
- ½ 15-ounce jar pizza or marinara sauce
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ½ cup Italian-style diced tomatoes, drained
- In a food processor, add all ingredients except diced tomatoes.
- Blend until smooth, scraping down sides of bowl 1 or 2 times.
- Transfer to a bowl and stir in diced tomatoes.
- Serve with pita chips, chopped veggies or spread on wrap or sandwich.