The Only Omelet Recipe You Will Ever Need
Photo: Davide Illini
High-protein breakfasts are my number one strategy when it comes to getting my day on track and powering through my morning routine. Studies have shown that high-protein breakfasts can help reduce cravings throughout the entire day, as well as stabilize blood sugar levels.
My go-to morning protein choice is eggs. They are so easy to make and packed full of nutrients. Gone are the days that we felt pressured to skip the yolk, since the newest Dietary Guidelines for Americans no longer recommend eating only the egg whites in an effort to limit dietary cholesterol intake. Enter my Mediterranean-inspired omelet. This recipe includes fresh herbs and a simple combination of tomatoes and red onions — so delicious!
I love serving this omelet with my favorite fruit or whole-wheat bread. And it’s completely fine to double or triple the recipe to make meal prep a little easier throughout the week.
Tomato, Onion and Herb Omelet
Makes one omelet
- 2 large eggs
- Dash of salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ cup chopped grape tomatoes
- ¼ cup thinly sliced red onion
- 2 or 3 fresh minced basil leaves
- In a small bowl, whisk eggs and season with salt and pepper.
- In a small skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Pour eggs into the skillet and cook undisturbed until just set, about 1 to 2 minutes. Use a spatula to loosen edges of the omelet, and tilt the pan slightly to move any unset egg to the surface.
- When surface of the omelet is barely moist, scatter tomatoes and onion over the top. Cover and reduce heat to low, and continue to cook for 1 minute. Remove from heat and let rest for about 1 minute, covered. Sprinkle with basil and serve.
Lori Zanini, RD, CDE, is a Los Angeles-based registered dietitian, author and national media spokesperson for the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. She helps individuals simplify diabetes nutrition, one meal at a time, with her free 7 day diabetes meal plan. Visit her online at LoriZanini.com and connect with her on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.